Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Stargazer Lily - White

White Lilium Stargazer - Lilium orientalis

I bought this Stargazer Lily at Opon local market, Lapu Lapu City from sidewalk vendors. According to them, this flower grows abundantly in Cagayan de Oro province due to humid climate in their highlands most time of the day.

Scientific Name:
Lilium orientalis
Family:
Liliaceae
Toxicity:
Toxic to Cats, Non-Toxic to Dogs, Non-Toxic to Horses
Toxic Principles:
Unknown
Clinical Signs:
Vomiting, inappetence, lethargy, kidney failure and death is possible. Cats are only species known to be affected.

According to wikipedia, Lilium "Stargazer" (the Stargazer lily) is a hybrid lily of the Oriental group. Oriental lilies are known for their fragrant perfume, blooming mid-to-late summer. Stargazers are easy to grow and do best in full sunlight.They have a fast growth rate and should be planted in full sun in well drained loamy or sandy soil. When mature, Stargazers can grow to a height of 36 inches with a spread of 12 to 16 inches with 4 to 5 flowers per stem.



12 comments:

  1. how does the bulb look like? is it like a ginger? because i got 4 of the bulbs from a street vendor as well here in La Union. After that I'm not sure if it's a stargazer coz when i search on the internet the bulb is different. It's like onion type. But when I saw your post I began to think that it might be another specie of stargazer. The leaves are the same as yours. I'm still waiting for them to flower. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    The one you saw in the picture was not the real stargazer lilies, i mean the leaves were faked but the flowers were real. I found out 3 days after i took these photos because the plant died suddenly. I'm very disappointed so beware of buying plants from street vendors. I will post the photo of how they did faking this plant in some other time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are usually used to give to the burial of the dead.


    camper trailer

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are usually used to give to the burial of the dead.

    Garden centre Greater Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  5. so nice ,,asa ka sa CEBU?pwd ko mangayu u number? pwd ko mupalit ug saha? pls. contact me at this number 09070702397..thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bought from a street vendor at a sidewalk in dumaguete and it's a fake one. I bought the "saha" for 200 pesos and when the leaves open it turned out to be a different kind of plant but the sample they had at the sidewalk has the stargazer flower. The stem of that sample must have been faked too.

    I got so disappointed with what happened. And when my mom visited my uncle at another town, he had also been duped much earlier than me at the same vendor in Dumaguete based on how he described the seller. I think this is their modus to earn a living but just sad they had to resort to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This thing happened to me. I was going to dipolog from cebu and this guys boarded in dumaguete...he is from tanjay ( kay ingon xa). Bought 6 stems and planted them. Turned out to to be a different plant which unfortunately can be harvested sa kasagbutan...i was duped!

      Delete
    2. hi all, please take note that stargazer come from bulb that look alike garlic.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is someone selling stargazer plants at OLX. I think there plant is legit. Well, ill be getting my plant this coming saturday.

    ReplyDelete